Çaykara – Uzungöl Tourist Center
Situated at 1250 m., Uzungöl, with its unparalleled natural beauty, has become a popular tourist destination in the last few years. The infrastructure is complete and the 500,000 m2 lake has large numbers of trout and carp. Ten kilometers south of Uzungöl in the Holdizon Mountains is Lake Balıklıgöl, a perfect place to take a hike and observe wildlife in a pristine unspoiled environment.The dominant tree species is Eastern spruce, and there are also badger, bearded, alder, horn-beam, hazelnut, oak, mountain elm and silver birch trees. Species of animals include mountain goat, roe deer, bear, wolf, wild boar, marten, badger, lynx, jackal, fox, rabbit, squirrel, wild ducks, birds of prey, trout and various kinds of reptiles.The transportation facility goes on all over the year to Uzungöl, which is 20 km from Çaykara. Uzungol-Trabzon
The Sera Lake Area
In order to get there, you need to take the Trabzon-Akçaabat road for 7 km. and then turn south on the gravel road. It is 2 km. to the village. There are minibus services between Trabzon and Akçaabat 24 hours a day. There are basic services like running water, electricity and a post office, as well as a very fine camping and picnic area. Fishing in the lake is allowed. Accommodations are provided by the village of bed and breakfast houses. All types of basic necessities can be obtained from the village. The local fish restaurant, tea house and markets are open until late at night.
The 22 km road between the town of Maçka and the village of Gürgenağaç is asphalt. At the village take the dirt road south for 7 km. In the summer, commercial vehicles offer passenger service to visitors.The village which sits at 1850 m. has a completed infrastructure. Visitors can fish for trout in the ice-cold creek which runs through the village or sled down the steep grass covered hills. The ‘Ayeser’ festival is held there on the third Friday of July of each year. There is electricity, running water, a fountain and a post office, as well as a small market, tea house, butcher and restaurant.
On the way to the 2504 m. Çakırgöl Highlands, you will pass by the highland villages of Arnavutluk, Kırantaş, Akarsu, Ayraksa, Livayda Kurugöl, Mesaraş Furnoba, Kasapoğlu, Camiboğazı, Ortaoba and Deveboynu.Access to the village is provided by a dirt road that turns off to the right 5 km out on the Maçka – Meryemana road and continues for another 90 km. Sometimes it is possible to get a ride with one of the commercial vehicles using the road. Off-road vehicles should be used to get to the Çakırgöl highland. Someone who wants to camping, should bring their own tents and other basic camping supplies.
The oxygen-rich air of this village sitting at 1946 m has made it a popular place for those suffering from lung problems. The village infrastructure is complete. Wildlife here is abundant and souvenirs and gift items are available. Access to the village is provided by turning west on a dirt road 12 km out on the Akçaabat – Düzköy road. Continue for another 28 km in order to reach the village. Commercial vehicles offer transportation during the summer months. There is a bed and breakfast with 10 beds and a small market, a bakery, a tea house and a restaurant.
Hıdırnebi and Kuruçam Highlands
You can get to the village by turning west on the dirt road 12 kilometers out of the Akçaabat – Düzköy road. The road is open year-round and commercial vehicles provide transportation. It is one kilometer from Kuruçam to Hıdırnebi. With an elevation of 1742 m., the village has a completed infrastructure. The ‘Hıdırnebi’ Festival, which is held July 20-22, is held on Hıdırnebi Mountain, a beautiful lookout with a spectacular view. In the forest it is possible to see wolves, foxes, jackals and other wild animals and it is a great place for a photo safari. The local villagers sell hand-made bags, woolen socks, woven baskets and kitchen utensils such as wooden spoons and churns. There is a small market, green grocer, butcher, bakery, restaurant and teahouse. During the summer a bed and breakfast provides accommodations. In the village of Acısu, there is a mineral spring and a bed and breakfast.
Sis Dağı Highland
Access to the village of Sis dağı is provided by a 25 km dirt road out of the Erikbeli Tourist Center. Improvements have been made to the infrastructure of the village, which sits at an elevation of 1550 m. There is a small market, butcher and teahouse. Every year on the third Saturday of July the ‘Sis Dağı’ Festival is held here. You need to bring your own camping gear, but basic supplies can be obtained from the village.
The Kadırga Highland is 14 km. east of the Erikbeli Tourist Center. Commercial vehicles provide transportation in the summer months along this dirt road. This village, with an elevation of 2300 m. is located right around the tree line. Every year tens of thousands of people come to the ‘Kadırga’ Festival held here. During the folk dances, competitions, and musical entertainment, literally tons of food and drink is consumed and the whole area looks like a huge bazaar or fairground.There are basic services such as electricity, running water and toilets as well as a small market, butcher, bakery, restaurant, sewing supplies shop and teahouses.
Lying southeast of the city centre, the area of Boztepe dominates the surroundings and has always been highly respected through the ages. The hill has fine views of the surrounding city and the sea, and is a popular place for picnics in the summer, and there are the remains of a ruined convent and monastery. The Convent of Panaya Theoskepastos dates back the 14th century and was used as a Greek Orthodox church until 1923. Kaymakli, around 4km south, is a former Armenian monastery and contains well-preserved frescoes dating back to the 17th century, with the courtyard now used by the adjacent farm. There are some minibuses that go near to the monastery, although a short walk is also necessary.
The cave is located at the Çalköy Borough of Düzköy. The entrance part of the cave is at average human height. After the first 150 meters, stalactite and stalagmites are encountered. The cave is thought to be extremely long and the exact length is unknown. There is a river flowing through the river. The cave has partially wide locations and partially narrow locations. There is a castle established at the upper side of the cave dominating the area.
MOSQUE, CHURCHE AND PALACES
Trabzon in an important destination for religious tourism, containing many interesting and historical mosques and churches. These include: Gülbaharhatun Mosque, Iskenderpasa Mosque, Çarsi Mosque, Büyük Imaret Mosque; Haghios Eugenius Church (Yeni Cuma Mosque), Panaghia Chrysocephalos Church (Fatih Mosque), Santa Maria Church, Hagia Sophia Church and Santa (Dumanli) churches.
Gülbahar Hatun Mosque
The mosque was constructed in the name of the mother of Yavuz Sultan Selim, Ayşe – Gülbahar Hatun in 1514 inside a Külliye complex near Zagnos Bridge. This mosque holds a special place among the other Turkish Creations in Trabzon. The mosque enters into the group of “mosques with lodges of dervishes” that form a separate plan type in the early period Ottoman Architecture. The “courtyard” which is almost always encountered in the mosques with lodges of dervishes is not present in this mosque. The stonemasonry of the walls are important. The minaret located at the west side is in the classical Ottoman minaret style.
Fatih Mosque (Ortahisar Mosque – Panaghia Chrysocephalos Church-Center)
The structure is known as the major church of Trabzon and is located in the Ortahisar quarter. It is assumed that the church was constructed over the ruins of an ancient Roman temple by Hanmibalianos, the nephew of Roman Emperor Constantin (A.D. 325 – 364). The church is known as “the Cathedral of the Comnens ” and as a depiction to the Mother Mary, it was named as the “Goldenhead”. The reason for naming the church with the name “Goldenhead” is that in painting of the Mother Mary which is located on the apsis shaped semi-circle, the moiré of Mother Mary is coated with gold. After the conquest of Trabzon by Turkish forces in 1461 the structure was transformed into a mosque. Some of the researchers compare the church with the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul…
This Greek Orthodox monastery was constructed within a cavern in the middle of a steep slope above dense forests, and lies 45km south of Trabzon. This was the most important of many monasteries built in the area during the Byzantine era and the best preserved, even after it was abandoned in 1923 when the Turkish Republic was created. Several years later one of the monks discovered treasures – including the famous icon said to have been painted by St Luke and responsible for several miracles. Recent restorations have enhanced the quality of the different chapels, some of which contain frescoes dating back to the 9th century. Its setting is within Altindere national park, with thick forests, streams and trout farms, making it a popular excursion especially for locals at weekends. There are private bus tours from Trabzon, and it is also possible by minibus or shared taxi.
The church is located inside a monastery complex which is two kilometers from west of Trabzon province. It is assumed to be constructed by the King of Commenos State I. Manuel between the dates in 1238 – 1263. The four pillared and three abscissa chapel located to the north is dated earlier than the structure. The Hagia Sophia of the Trabzon is the most important structure of late Byzantine Period of the region. The structure was transformed into a mosque in the period of III. Murat in 1670 by Beylerbeyi Ali Bey. The structure was restored between the dates of 1958 – 1962 by the cooperation of Edinburg University and Charitable Foundations General Directorate and entered into service as a museum in 1964. The structure has a beautiful stonemasonry. It is also very rich in stone decorations and frescos. The church has depictions as; the banishment of Adam and Eve from heaven, Mother Mary sitting on the throne, The ascend of Jesus to the sky, the birth of St. Jesus, the miracles of St. Jesus,The last supper of St. Jesus, the descend of St. Jesus to hell, the baptism, the symbols of Bible writers. The church also contains decorations like single headed eagle, unnatural creatures, geometric plant like decorations and bird figures. Especially the multicolored niches, pillar titles at the western side and the geometric patterned medallions at the northern sşide are the samples of Seljukian stone decoration art.
The monastery is located 14 kilometre away from Maçka district, between the pine tree forest. The exact foundation date of the monastery in uncertain but some researchers claim that the foundation of the monastery could be between A.D. 270 – 317 years. The monastery had been restored by emperor Justinianus in 565 and undergo numerous repairs and restoration processes until the present day. The Vazelon Monastery had influenced the religious, cultural and economic structure of Maçka district after 13th century. It is said that the Sumela Monastery was constructed by the incomes of Vazelon Monastery, which was the wealthiest monastery of the region. The frescos depicting the heaven, the hell and the final judgement located at the northern exterior wall of the triple nef church still preserves their beauty and vigor.
Situated in a small pine grove in the Soguksu area, this mansion was constructed at the beginning of the 20th century and belonged to Greek banker Karayannidhis, who was forced to abandon it 20 years later. Ataturk stayed at there in 1924, 1934 and 1937 during his visits to Trabzon, and it was formally presented to him a year before his death. It was then decorated with furniture and décor from that period, filled with photographs of the leader and opened by the city’s municipality as Ataturk Museum. It is still an impressive building, set in immaculate gardens, and there are regular buses running the 7km from the city centre.